Six Strategies to Remember Your Dreams:
1. Ask a specific question before you go to sleep, or simply ask for guidance.
2. Keep a dream journal, pen and flashlight by your bed <or tape recorder>. If you wake up in the middle of the night, write down whatever fragments you remember right then.
3. In the morning wake up slowly and remain in that hypnagogic state remembering your dream for a few minutes.
4. Open your eyes and write down your dream immediately, whatever small pieces you might remember. Engage all of your senses in remembering … especially how you felt ... don’t filter anything that might provide insight later.
5. Take some time to reflect on it ... don’t judge what comes up. Look for symbols, patterns, repetition, feelings, actions or non-actions. Where does the dream take place and what memories are associated with the place? Is there a progression of feelings throughout the dream?
6. Go back to the dream in your imagination and explore it further … you might gain new insights. Talk to the people or symbols … ask them why they are in your dream? What do they want you to know?
As you reflect on your dream … consider what new choices does it suggest or inspire? Is it nudging you in a new direction?