if I ever need to protect myself. Plus I don’t think I come across as a victim to random people and think they would probably choose someone else to attack rather than me. I don’t believe in living in fear, but I do think it is good to be
I saw this article today and thought I would share the highlights because it is a good summary. Read the whole article:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Be vigilant … avoid distractions and keep your eyes and ears open … be aware of available escape routes.
- Project an air of confidence. Walk with purpose … if you feel someone is following you. turn around and look him in the eye.
- Don’t feel pressure to be nice. If it doesn’t feel right just keep walking and ignore any requests … trust your instincts and don’t worry about being rude.
- Never carry more than you can afford to lose. Less is more … and your life is worth more than your possessions.
- Know the real risks. Most crimes occur in the dark near the victim’s home.
- Trust your instincts. If your gut or intuition tells you that a situation is unsafe, get out as soon as possible.
- To Resist, or Not to Resist? In instances in which the attacker has a deadly weapon or threatens immediate violence, sometimes the best course of action is to submit and then try to
escape later, since resisting may only bring on more violence. Most violent crimes are committed without a weapon. In attacks where no weapon is present, it may be possible to fight or run away.
- If you choose to fight, fight as if your life depends on it. Be prepared to do whatever it takes to get away. Even if you’ve never taken a self-defense course, there are maneuvers that can temporarily incapacitate your attacker, making it easier to escape and get help. These maneuvers might not be fatal, but they could buy you precious seconds in which to flee. The most vulnerable parts of the human body are the eyes, nose, throat, and testicles. Use your thumbs to gouge an attacker’s eyes. Use the heel of your hand to thrust upward and break an attacker’s nose. Forming a V with your thumb and fingers, ram your hand into the attacker’s throat and collapse his windpipe. Kick his testicles as hard as you can.
Use your elbow—it’s one of the strongest areas of the body—knees, or feet to do damage, rather than trying to land punches.
As I said, I found this article to be a good summary. I hope it helps if you are ever in a position to need this information.