- I suggest either growing your own with the knowledge and intention of honoring the plants or buying from someone who did the same
- Light the bundle and quickly blow out the flame, allowing it to smolder <catch any stray sparks in a shell or non-metal ceramic container>
- To clear a room: walk around the room and let the smoke rise to reach every corner of the room
- To clear yourself / another person / object: fan / feather the bundle over what is to be cleared
- In sacred ceremony and ritual: to bless the space and the participants
- During transition: like between seasons for a fresh start
- When done, be sure flame in bundle is completely out; it is usually best to stub it out and let it rest in the container until you are sure it is no longer burning
- Each smudging herb is used for a different purpose:
- Sage: most common is white sage, purifies and protects
- Sweet grass braids: used after sage to welcome in the positive energies <present to 6 directions with intentions of calling in good energy>
Turn to the South: smudge toward that direction and say: "Spirit of the South, Great Spirit of Water, strengthen and bring peace to this space."
Turn to the West : smudge toward that direction and say: "Spirit of the West, Great Spirit of Fire, energize and protect this space."
Turn to the North: smudge toward that direction and say: "Spirit of the North, Great Spirit of Earth, ground and cleanse this space."
Look upwards: smudge toward that direction and say: "Great Father Sky, guard this space from above."
Look down: smudge toward that direction and say: "Great Mother Earth, nurture this space from below."
- Cedar: burnt when moving into a new home to purify and attract positive energy to the space
- Lavender: attracts love, restores balance and creates a peace
- Rosemary: for clarity
- Mugwort: stimulates psychic awareness and powerful dreams
- Bay leaf: protects against colds and flu