To strengthen the heart, allow yourself to go deeply into the heart on all levels. Connect to everything: the pain, the joy, the confusion, the darkness, the love, holding the energy of the heart open to the experience instead of backing away from it.
Tune in to it and feel what energy is there. Is the heart open or constricted? Is it warm or is it cool, or cold, perhaps?
When you are ready, think about a person, situation, or emotion and bring that energy directly into the heart. If you feel yourself back off, continue to breathe into it. Embrace it. Hold it. Breathe out.
Then bring it in again, allowing yourself to really "feel" it, holding it a little longer, a little deeper, each time. Stretch a little further.
Keep opening the heart, stretching it, holding it open, until that energy begins to feel a natural part of your being.
1. What causes your heart to contract? What person(s) or situation(s) does your heart back away from?
2. How does it feel to open your heart fully to every experience?
EXERCISE: Do this with someone with whom you are trying to experience more openness, more love, more joy.
Sit across from each other and place your right hands over each other's heart. Breathe, letting the heart open.
Continue to let the energy open and hold it. Open and hold. Let the energy cycle, opening each other's heart.
Hold that energy as long as you can.
1. How did doing this exercise with another person change how you feel about him or her?
2. What fears, if any, did you experience? (fear of joy, intimacy, trust, openness...)
3. My fears: ___________________
4. My partner's fears: ___________________